Saturday, October 24, 2009

Why I Do What I Do

It's been an interesting last few months to say the least, trying to fast-forward my way through my Bachelor's degree in order to earn my Master's degree, changing degree programs several times, gaining students, losing students, almost quitting teaching...

And then, suddenly things settled out, and I had a revelation of sorts.

Teaching privately is hard work, but I've realized in the last few weeks that I wouldn't give it up for the world. There are so many moments when I love my job:

- When I get the joy of seeing student's faces light up when they learn to express their creativity in new ways.

- When students work for WEEKS to master one technique and it finally clicks.

- When my students collect their weekly stickers on the cover of their assignment notebook and insist on counting them each week to "find out how many lessons they've had" and then recount the stories of lessons past.

- When the drama classes and clubs that I've spent weeks with - painstakingly auditioning, casting, teaching, coaching, directing, pleading with to PLEASE learn their lines, and to stay focused for just a FEW more rehearsals - take their final bows, and I have to work hard not to let the tears flow because I'm just that proud of them.

Those are the moments when I realize that it's worth it. Those are the moments that every scheduling problem, frustration with lack of practice and feeling that I am not a suitable teacher melt away, and I remember why I do what I do.

Why do you teach?

1 comment:

Inna said...

"Teaching music is not my main purpose. I want to make good citizens. If children hear fine music from the day of their birth and learn to play it, they develop sensitivity, discipline and endurance. They get a beautiful heart." — Shinichi Suzuki